We have now exceeded 400 species.

The Weedalogue was originally started in the early Two-Thousands as an online notebook in the gardening website where I kept track of my gardening. The site was mostly notes on propagation, but I started cataloging the weeds I was encountering in the now defunct Broad and South Community Garden. The care which went in to the early work fell far below academic standards. Mistakes were made. Other gardeners seeing my online notes encouraged me to give the work its own site and encouraged expansion of the project. I did so as a resource for Philadelphia area gardeners and for the fun of it. Soon after I started Weedalogue.com I began working as a fine gardener and during that time the project took off. I worked on it for a while and then let it stagnate for a few years. When I cam back and looked at working on it again, I found that the site had left a large impression on the Web. The site is recommended by University sites and is cited as evidence by a Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board pdf. Pictures from it show up when I search Google's image search for plants, sometimes on the first few pages.

Seeing this, I decided that the site needed to be cleaned up. Multiple entries have been edited or removed. A few more are still in the process of review or have not been gotten to yet. Beyond this clean-up, I decided to overhaul and expand the website considerably. When I first began the venture, internet connections and computers were much slower and if one used large pictures, they took a long time to load. That, in conjunction with the fact that the project was started with a cheap Olympus point-and-shoot digital camera, I went with 6" pictures. Given the updates in computers, the internet and the better camera quality available, I decided to rework the site slowly as much as possible to 12" pictures. This has been an ongoing process, as has expansion. The site came out of stagnation at about 250 entries and have now exceeded 400 entries. At the current rate, we may hit 450 by the end of the year.

The expansion is taxing the current system of indexing. I have not been updating the main list on the main page. I have only been updating the three species indices, which are getting quite long. The code for the site, as well, is beyond antiquated. The site was built on quickly written hand code that was deprecated at the time the site was first built and I never bothered to change the format. We are working on ideas to overhaul the site, both reworking the code so that it is more easily navigated. We are also planning all manner of different indices, both keyed and alphabetical.

There is now a Weedalogue Instagram feed, run by Erin, the first additional staffer to help with the Weedalogue venture. I am looking to find other people interested in helping as well, particularly in trading knowledge or pointing out stands or specimens of various plants. I am especially looking for people with a good knowledge of trees.

In pursuit of this goal and for other reasons, we have now started The Concrete Botany Society of Philadelphia. The Society has started a sister website to The Weedalogue, concretebotany.com which will allow us to develop and host projects that fall outside of the scope of The Weedalogue. We can currently be reached at the Weedalogue tipline address, which is tipline at weedalogue dot com. Feel free to contact us at that address to inquire about the society, help us locate wild-growing plants not in The Weedalogue or to point out mistakes on the site.

The Weedalogue forum was deleted some time ago, after having some trouble with Yahoo. My apologies go out to most of the people who tried to contribute through that medium. My thanks also goes out to those who contributed useful information, but not to those who tried to lecture me about what is and what is not a weed. In this context, a weed is any plant not planted intentionally where it is found growing. This is far from a technical definition, but a simple gardener's one. The site was meant to help gardeners identify plants coming up that they did not plant. It is up to them to decide of the plant or valuable or not.